Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Next Big Thing

Recently I participated in the Next Big Thing Blog Hop, thanks to an invitation from the very talented, Maria Hammarblad.  I answered a series of questions regarding a new project I was working on.  Here are those questions and answers.
What is the working title of your book?
Unchanged

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Unchanged started as a bad dream but blossomed into an exciting adventure. I had a nightmare about this monstrous man wrapped in barbed wire, surrounded by flames and darkness. He was pounding out metal much like a black-smith would; as he pounded the metal sparks flew around him illuminating the grotesque state in which his withered body was in. As he shuffled about on his contorted feet, I woke startled and haunted by him; unable to shake the endless possibilities of his story.

What genre does your book fall under?
Science Fiction

Which movie characters would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I rarely picture celebrities as the characters in my books; even though each of my stories plays out as a movie in my mind. However, there was one character in this particular book that instantly provoked an actor’s face. He wasn’t one of the main characters, but he certainly has a memorable role, Jonas a well-intentioned, strong arm, who is both respected and feared, evoked the face of Mark Wahlberg.

What is a one-sentence synopsis for your book?
A young woman finds herself in battle of right and wrong, to find hope in a dying world.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Unchanged is scheduled to be released by Silver Knight Publishing, a traditional publisher, sometime next year (2013).

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I think it is safe to say this manuscript took about a year to finish, but I tend to work on more than one story at a time.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I had a friend compare it to Pure by Julianna Baggott, but I personally haven’t read this book, yet...(it’s on my wish list though).

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
As I said before the idea came as a nightmare but once settled, I instantly knew what I wanted from it, a science fiction; something completely out of my comfort zone. So I have to say I was most inspired by my good friend, the extraordinarily gifted science fiction writer Maria Hammarblad. Her books are so intense and well rounded. With her example and constant encouragement and reassurance, I took a deep breath and wrote it. I am so pleased by the adventure it took me on as well as the feeling of accomplishment it has given me.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Some of my books tend to be heavy with emotion, but this book took a completely different direction. There is even some action including an explosion and some fight scenes.

Even though I started out thinking about the man in my dreams I told a completely unexpected story about a girl named Misti who struggles to right the wrongs of her father and unearth justice for humanity, as well as the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment