Monday, February 11, 2013

The Next Big Thing Wednesday Blog Hop on Monday

I was invited to another "Next Big Thing Blog Hop" and I have already messed it up.  I was supposed to post my answers last Wednesday, February 6, 2013, but here it is Monday, February 11, 2013.  I believe the expression is “better late than never”, so here it goes. 

First thank you Maria Hammarblad for including me in the fun!  I will be discussing my upcoming book Unchanged. 

Temporary Cover/Not Actual Cover


This is the temporary cover (I designed), but I am dying to see what the talented artist Aldren Gamalo at Silver Knight Publishing comes up with.  He designed the jackets for both Parallel & Lilac Hill.  He has a very versatile style and I believe him to be a genius!  He always does a spectacular job and I am very appreciative to have him work on my covers.   

1: What is the working title of your book? Unchanged

2: Where did the idea come from for the book? Unchanged started as a bad dream but blossomed into an exciting adventure.  I had a nightmare about this monstrous man wrapped in barbwire, surrounded by flames and darkness.  He was pounding out metal much like a black-smith; as he pounded the metal sparks flew around him illuminating the grotesque state in which his withered body was in.  As he shuffled about on his contorted feet, I woke startled and haunted by him; unable to shake the endless possibilities of his story.

3: What genre does your book come under? Science Fiction

4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?  This is always a difficult question for me.  However, every time I see Mae Whitman I wish I could seriously see her play the role of the main character, Misti.  She has such a gentle nature about her, all the while still being able to bring forth a sense of strength and courage.  I think she could really bring my vision to life.

5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?  A girl named Misti battles her way to find hope in a dying world, righting the wrongs of her father, and unearthing justice for humanity.
6: Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency? This particular book is scheduled to be released sometime in May 2013 by traditional publisher Silver Knight Publishing, LLC.

7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? I think at least a year, but this is a book that has been in the making for many years.

8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?  Another difficult question.  I personally don’t like to compare my work to anyone else; fear of not measuring up, I suppose.  A friend of mine did compare it to Pure by Julianna Baggott.  I personally haven’t read this series, but it is on my wish list.

9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?  Well the dream got everything started, but as I said it falls into the science fiction category and the best sci-fi writer I know is Maria Hammarblad.  She was very supportive during the creation process.  Even though it is more of a medical science/doomsday sort of sci-fi, it was still out of my comfort zone and she was very helpful, continually encouraging me.

10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?  There is an underlying message of conservation and responsibility in the story.  Plus there is an unexpected surprise at the end of the story, which catapults its meaning even further.


Thank you for reading The Next Big Thing Wednesday Blog Hop on Monday.  I hope you have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment