Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Joy in the Blink of an Eye

Joy in the Blink of an Eye
Okay there isn’t a short way to share this story, so I will just lay it out in all its glory.  For those of you who don’t know, children truly do fill your life with joy and light.
My six year old, soon to be seven (and yes to him it is important to distinguish this fact), developed a pretty serious eye blinking problem a year or two back.  He has had on going learning hurtles, which he is steadily leaping over, but at that time the “eye blinking” was cause for worry. 
It was ruled out as a vision problem, so the question was had he developed a troubling habit or was it far more serious and an uncontrollable tick?  The teachers were concerned which had me nervous.  So like any neurotic mother I took him to the doctor. 
The physician a young, newly promoted from Physician’s Assistant, anxious to cure any and all oddities, determined it was a sign of turrets.  My son was to immediately undergo psych evaluation, among other things, (remember he is around 5).  My heart felt at war with my brain.  My desire to rescue my son from labeling, battled my knowledge of early detection is best.  My husband became the diplomatic party, ruling we would adopt a “wait and see” policy.
So we did, and after our own observations we noted it appeared that he blinked most often when he was nervous or anxious about something.  So we were mostly right, no need to over react, help him manage his stress, etc.
Okay, let me fast forward to present day, my son now a month from being seven is happy and well adjusted; making personal strides every day.  We have been playing outside on a hot summer day and came in for a pop cycle.  “Mom do you see spots when you come in?”
“Yeah, sometimes that happens when you’ve been out in the sun.”
He smiles as he takes his first bight of the cherry red treat, “Yep.  I can make it happen when I close my eyes too.”
I’m not thinking much about anything right now, just watching and enjoying him, then he demonstrates his talent and an instant flash to the “troubling eye blinking” races through my mind.  “Do you do this often?” I ask.
“Uh-hu, when I’m bored.”
“So that’s why you blink like that a lot?”
“Yeah, it’s like fireworks in there!”  He runs back out to play and I am left with the freeing gift, that my son gets bored easily, especially during school, homework or when he is getting a lecture from his parents.  :D
I am not saying any parent should “wait and see” if they have serious concerns for their children, please don’t mistake my words.  My heart is just full of love, joy, laughter and gratitude, which I wanted to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment