Monday, June 3, 2013

Natural Beauty or Media Beautiful?

The Monday morning rush began earlier than I wanted.  Not the same rush as those who have to get out in the real world, but the rush of my daughter’s thirty questions before I’ve brushed my hair or teeth; then the hurry of starting the laundry and the rest of the house work while she is eating breakfast and playing her games. 
Somehow the television escaped my attention, left over residual from the morning’s weather check.  As I scurried from room to room I could hear early morning shows and commercials screaming out countless things which are wrong with me.  Each of my steps began to feel heavier and heavier as I learn that not only is my weight, skin and hair beyond hope, but so are my nails, neck, eyelids, knees, ankles, lips, teeth, style…you name it, it’s wrong and needs help.  I clicked the boob tube off, eager for reprieve and hoping my daughter has only been focusing on her own immediate entertainment, rather than hearing the same abusive onslaught I have.
I’m finally back on task, leaned over the abyss known as my tub, where my 3 youngest children decided to go for a swim; yes, equipped with swim wear they had a grand time the night before, and now I am scrubbing the bubble residue.  My rear-end jiggling to its own beat, my feet thrashing about struggling to maintain my balance, and though I am out of ear shot from the constant beating my self-esteem was taking from the melodic flow of “helpful” media, the battering of its lashing is still in my subconscious bouncing around its reminders.
I am filled with self-loathing and wishful thinking, almost to the point of doing whatever necessary to obtain the “ideal” me.  But then a small voice inside me wondered, whose idea is it anyway?  It certainly isn’t mine, or my husband’s.  I should and do want to be pretty, but maybe not in the same sense the world sees attractiveness.  I want my husband to be proud of me, but if I am the beautiful that God has planned for me, then he will be.    
The beauty that God has placed for us begins on the inside and shines outwardly.  It is rare, genuine, and that which other’s refer to as “natural beauty”.  It is unmistakable and something I want for my children as well as myself.  It is not hard to obtain and doesn’t cost a dime.  When you are generous, compassionate and full of joy, you possess true beauty. 
Some of the most stunning women I’ve ever met where not cover girl material, they weren’t a size five and their skin wasn’t flawless, but to me and many others they were and are the epitome of elegance, and exquisiteness. 
I hope to one day come to grips with my body’s shortcomings and embrace what is truly there.  I pray to seek God’s idea of beauty rather than the media’s, and in doing so I hope to pass this desire on to my children when they seek beauty for themselves.



Reverse the negatives into positives!  It only takes three to feel better about yourself.  Don’t let others convince you that you are making excuses, because you are simply accentuating the positives and revealing the truth.

1.       You don’t have a super small waist line.  “I don’t need one, I am Momtastic!”
2.       Your hair is going gray!  “I earned it by caring for my loved ones and sharing my time with those in need.”
3.       Your skin is blotchy.  “Yeah, that sometimes happens when you laugh really hard!” 


No comments:

Post a Comment