Monday, October 14, 2013

Garden Spells Book Review

Garden Spells  by Sarah Addison Allen is by far one of the best books I have read in a long time.  I
read it in only two days, and had my children not been home I would have finished it in one.    This book was unexpectedly given to me by my friend (Angel Elizabeth) who I will forever more call “My Evanelle”, after a character in the story who gives many things to others.  This for me was a gift of optimism, joy and inspiration.

The plot is very reminiscent of Practical Magic but is brimming with diversity and experience.  None of the magical elements feel absurd and you find yourself enveloped in all the happenings as if actually standing in the middle of them. 
The characters in the story are well developed and you quickly become attached and entangled in their lives and feelings.  Often when authors create a diverse cast I find myself bored with one or two of the storylines and anxious to get to my favorites, but I was excited for each and every one of these.   I found myself laughing, crying, and gasping with fear and shock.   
I love the author’s writing style and am extremely anxious to read The Sugar Queen, which was also given to me by My Evanelle.  Thank you Angel Elizabeth for introducing me to works by Sarah Addison Allen, I am a huge fan now and I hope many more will read and enjoy Garden Spells as I did.

*Special Note:  While researching all the added links, I found Ms. Allen is offering a FREE pre-order download to her upcoming book Waking Kate, which will be released January 7, 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment